[RC] mustangs, etc. - Ed Kilpatrick

the blm is the only boat afloat to deal with the wild, free roaming horses.  they have lots of good, caring people employed who are trying to do a good job, but it is a monumental task.  add to the task the necessary bureaucratic intervention, acute public awareness, and it certainly becomes increasingly difficult.

as for new horse owners and wild mustangs,  it can certainly go either way, bad or good.  my personal opinion is that mustangs are not for just anybody, but horses in general are not for just anybody.  you cant treat a horse like a household pet.  there are a lot of people out there who are experienced endurance riders, ride camp regulars,  recreational riders, etc.  who have ALL KINDS of problems dealing with horses.   we read about it every day, my saddle dont fit, what about my bit, my horse has fits, maybe i should quit.   my horse runs away, he wont eat hay.  he is barn sour, buddy sour, people sour, herd bound, and southbound with no brakes.   i know people who have been riding and dealing with horses for ten years or more and still dont really have it together about the best ways to work with horses, domestic or wild.

i really enjoy working with and riding my mustangs.  i plan to continue doing it as long as i can.   i cant adopt one every year, and i cant provide a refuge for them.   i will do my best to work with the ones i get, and make safe, usable, productive horses.  hopefully some of them will show up in the aerc ride records every now and then.     cowboy ed