[RC] BLM Mustangs - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Paula Juergens cowlitztractor@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeri, I'm inclined to agree with you on the subject of not encouraging horse
newbies to adopt mustangs. I'm a 27 year horse verterin. Had my share of
ribbons won and some hard earned bruises too. I am now the proud human of a BLM
mustang stallion, BLM Tonka Tuff, WHo just did his first limited at Grizzly. He
was an absolute handful, mostly because he is a "boy" on his first public
outting with all those beautiful long legged endurance girls. He was a monster
compared to his normally quiet & kind demeanor at home. I got this horse by
default, from a horse newbie who nearly made him into a terminal basket case.
And he's from one of the quietest herds in the BLM. I have no huge problems
with him now, but it also took 4 mos of untraining the potential disaster that
was brewing from poor handling and complete lack of understanding about equine
socialogy and communication. And yes, you are right, I think that people have
this grand-eos idea that they are going to be horse whisperers, and end up with
a train wreck that someone else has to fix if not for the money,, for the sake
of the poor scared to death, captive wild animal. I beleive based on personal
experience that there is maybe 1 in 10 good horses that go through slaughter,
the rest are there for a reason, often by human design. In Mustangs, I think
often times it is much more humane then have a mean or ignorant first timer
that thinks they can whisper and make them tame, then beat  them snub them etc
when it doesn't work or that they are mustangs therefore they are tough so we
don't have to feed them anything, heck, food magically appears where they come
from I guess......