Re: [RC] Sad and OT - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: <DESERTRYDR1@xxxxxxx>

He was trying to load the first mustang in the trailer, it kicked him
square in the left nipple. Basically, he was kicked hard enough to send his
heart into fibrillation......
hospital, but he was declared dead shortly after they got there.

PLEASE be careful.  And when you hear someone talking about wanting to get
horse for their kids, who don't know anything about horses, tell them that
they need to look for a BROKE horse.  What if one of the kids had been in
the
pen?

Jeri, so sad, but really hit a nerve with me.....some years ago we had the
BLM brings mustangs to our county and I saw quite a few adopted out to
people who had never had a horse.  A mom up on the next street was all hot
to get one for her 10 year old girl, since she could not afford a "trained
horse."  Another neighbor and I tried hard to talk her out of it...whole
list of reasons.  She ended up adopting 3 yearlings, had inadequate size pen
and no shelter and I complained several times to BLM as her fencing in no
way even met requirements......I drove by too many times to see those three
standing shivering together in one small pen, all with halters with ropes
dragging, in the mud and rain....it was heartbreaking.  First weekend she
got them; the daugther was sleeping in the pen with them....these people had
absolutely no clue about horse behavior or nature....

Daughter got kicked by one of them, broke her arm....

2 years later, their feet are a mess, one is still very wild. I can't
imagine them being able to be wormed, vaccinated or have feet trimmed....

I am NOT anti mustang or BLM program!  I have a BLM mustang myself....and I
will admit, she is and will be a terrific horse; but there are instincts
that are stronger than any other horses I have had..I just think there need
to be MUCH stricter adoptions requirements; and they should NOT go out to
rookie horse owners, unless those owners go through one of the programs....
Karen
Karen