Re: [RC] Cloning - Now AHA Hardship Registration?!? - Bette Lamore

Dear Gretchen
The Registry had to previously rely on the owner of the dam at time of breeding written statement that the foal was out of the named dam and the stallion owner would state that his stallion bred that mare and gave the dates -- blood typing was reliable only as a way to rule out parentage-- not find the parents in a gene pool. It became evident that the honor system was not really working-- duh.... and as technology grew, we now have DNA that can verify parentage most times, even in a large gene pool without the need of statements from the dam and sire owners; never-the-less another issue remains to be determined and is the reason for still requesting those statements. If the dam owner chose not to register the foal, do any of the subsequent owners have the right to register the foal without the "permission" of everyone concerned? For example, did the owner of the dam at time of breeding pay for the breeding? Sometimes a deal is struck that the stallion owner will give the breeder a deal if they don't want registration papers. Also, sometimes the breeder promises to pay and runs out on the deal. That happened to me, in fact. I trusted the breeder as he had purchased a breeding from me before and then was a little short of cash for a repeat breeding. He was given a time frame to pay off the stud fee-- i.e before the foal was born. Well he had a beautiful filly and never contacted me. I had no real recourse without going through a lot of work and expense.
Soooo, years later a very famous world Champion tells me she has just acquired this mare and by the way, will I sign the registration papers? Pretty cagey breeder, huh? Sells the mare to someone who is reputable enough that he knows I will not withhold papers and it is in no way the buyers fault.. so I sign the papers and she is free to later sell the foal for a good price and I got nothing.
Fair? No, nor is the fact that the breeder also owed me a board bill and reimbursement for the wood his mares chewed (real termites). So the moral of the story is that the only recourse a stallion owner has is the registration papers. I have frequently held them until the money owed me was paid-- it was either that or hold the mare and keep feeding her, incurring more expense for myself with the possibility of no payment and another mouth to feed.
The flip side of the coin is the dam owner who has someone who wants the colt but doesn't want to pay anything for him-- or runs out on the contract--- or whatever. The bottom line is the dam owner agrees to sell the foal or the mare with foal in utero without registration papers for the foal for a lessor amount and the deal is made. Now the new owner many times turns around and gives or sells that foal to another buyer who wants the papers. Whoever sold or gave you the horse should have been honest enough to tell you that price tag came for the papers. Shame on him/her!!! Not the dam owner who has a right to charge for the registration papers. If she sold the gelding for big bucks without papers, then shame on the person that purchased him for not demanding the papers in the deal. Think of the registration papers for a horse as those of a car. The fact that a Ford is a Ford does not make it register"able" with the DMV. One has to show proof of ownership. Some paper trail that the person has the right to be the registered owner of a Ford---- or in our case --- a Purebred Arabian.
Just enjoy your gelding and if the time should come when you need to sell him, you can build the $1200 into the asking price perhaps-- or if showing is your passion, perhaps it will be worth it to you to pay the piper. Hopefully you did not pay an exorbitant amount for a horse without papers. Either way, good luck :-)
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)

Gretchen wrote:
<Registry entity still doesn't, in the sense that you mean--they work just
as hard to accomplish hardship registrations for purebreds fallen on hard
times as they do to register the foals of Mr. Bigbucks Glossyad Breeder. >

That's funny.  They have been refusing to help me get my pb gelding
registered since 1998.  His breeder didn't register him because "he wasn't
born gray".  She refuses to sign registration paperwork for me unless I pay
her $1200 for her signature.  Not to mention that she is no longer the owner
of his dam.  I already have signed paperwork from the stallion owner.  AHA
has told me more than once that I'm out of luck.  I sure would be happy to
have someone lead me in the right direction on how to get him registered
otherwise.

Gretchen and Shiner Bock (unregistered, but pb Arabian gelding)