[RC] 2005PAC: outaHere!! - John Teeter

(http://www.endurance.net/2005pac/gallery/uruguay1.wmv) <-- 500k Spirit of the
event
(http://www.endurance.net/2005pac/gallery/dancing1.mmv) <--1.4mb Dance of
Celebration
(http://www.endurance.net/2005pac/gallery/ClosingCeremony.mov) 3mb quicktime vr
of the dinner!

Well, the awards ceremony was pure South American - Simply Argentine
(with a loud and cheerful mix of Chilean, Brazilian, and Uruguayan
(The Columbian and Mexican and US and Japanese and Belgium and
Spanish and Canadian all put together couldn't make that much
noise!!) It was a grand time which (when we left at 2:30am) was still
going strong. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone with the dance
stamina of Diego Sanchez!! - that after a couple of days riding....

The earlier rumors of medals were confirmed.  Uruguay:USA:Brasil and
individual: Uruguay:Argentina:Argentina -- guessed right again
luckily:)

I've images (sights and sounds) of the party last night - the time
flew by (for me). It was truly a fun time - a grand contrast to the
formality of the WEC closing. Everyone (or finished:) was called forth
to be presented and photographed and sprayed with Champagne. Just a
really fun time. At the end (for me) the stage was full of riders and
crew and owners and children dancing away.

Today at the Hippocampo were the awards presentations for the rides
which happened yesterday (120km Senior/YoungRiders, 80km ...40km)
There were 200 horses on the trails yesterday! this after the Big
Event day of the championships. Originally, I thought this would just
be very crazy and a wild management headache after having done a major
FEI championship event. BUT ... it was grand fun to see all the other
folks come out to do the sport which is loved here. They do run fast
though - the leaders in the 40km are basically running full out. I
don't know the winning times (asleep at the wheel) but there were lots
of sprints going on (and lots of long pulse downs). There's a ways to
go on finesse yet, but the enthusiasm is certainly there - it was
family and Haras (breeders) and farms and countries and a grand mix.

Of course, I did here that there were 50 horses sold yesterday
(pending vet exams today:) so it was not all play and now work for
these folks. It is a big time of the year and buyers from the middle
east were in abundance at this gathering of the endurance horse in
Pinimar.

It's over now - time to head home - Steph has a ride may 7 (the Owyhee
100) to get ready for. There's trail to mark - blm to deal with -
diane to thank for riding the horses all winter. just lots of catchup.
Steph will likely do justice to our 5 months on the endurance trail
around the globe ... she's the eloquent one.

Congrats to all the Pan Am competitors - those that finished and those
that didn't. There were some amazingly gutsy efforts. It was nice to
see the competition between Uruguay, Chile, Argentina, and Brasil - I
hope that the PanAms come back to South America - they support the
sport well! Rio in 2007??:)

Congrats to the US - finishing 7 of 8 and a medal after a long dry
spell. Maybe it's a comeback?? who know:)

and a thank you to Argentina who played host to a very rambunctious and
competitive group of international endurance riders (and to Mexico's
first try - first finish in FEI endurance!! next year in Mexico???)

till later,

John and steph