From: "Laurie Durgin" <ladurgin@xxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 7:26 AM
Subject: [RC] abcess/donkey;vet or farrier?

  Any advice welcomed. My large mini donkey came to me last year kicking
if
you tried to touch his feet. I worked with him some, but alas, not like I
should have, the mommy syndrome,4 horses--donkey got neglected with his
foot
training.
  His feet were overgrown, and had a misunderstanding with my  farrier. So
figuring he'd trim down some on our terrain like my others do, and him
making a negative comment, discouraged me from pushing him on it. Later I
begged him to do  him. He said," of course", we had to twitch, he was
rearing around, but got some trim on fronts,told me to work on backs.
  Fast forward to him wearing some down, but not really right. I got where
could touch his legs and begin to pick up his fronts, but still jerking
backs away(and me not do it as often as I should). Got to where I could
touch and pick up a little on fronts to clean out, backs not as far.
   Then he went lame about 3 weeks ago. No swelling, heat ,etc. I put him
up
and gave bute 3 days,stopped, 3 days ,gave again for 2. Worked with feet
and
cleaned  the fronts and bathed him  and cleaned with hose..  He was
obviously foot sore. I figured abcess.
    Sure enough  after working daily  and him still lame on fronts I found
hole in sole and further up on overgrown toe  On LF. I manged to get him
where I could  squirt betadine on it, He didn't like that.
    I have read and studied some  "foot books' and am not sure what I am
seeing --as he is a donkey.  His frogs look ok. But I see a sort of round
light color oval sole, I see the bars, but then in front it is darker and
pointed and long. Sort of a circle with a darker  cone  in front of it. I
hope I am not seeing  the coffin bone..... or a seperation.
    He is walking sort of on his heels. I know he isn't right , and
obviously sore, doesn't like the rocks.
    Should this be done, with timming, in  stages? --But,  may be tricky,
he
reared and danced around,and we twitched him. Gain his trust, only  to
lose
it.
   Or have the vet  traq. him , do everything and give him a good once
over
?
     After finding the two holes and there looks to be a front hole in the
overgrown part  on the other foot too... I am worring about  white , line
or
seedy toe.
    Or, since the  abcess has already blown, should  I just  work on
cleaning out the hole (as my daughter suggested,  squirt Iodine in the
hole)
  and work with his feet ,and then  get the farrier to trim again?  Should
leave him out or  stall him ?  Try to soak or wrap?
   Or call the vet, have him tranqualized, examined, trimmed etc?
  I have dwelt with  two horse abcesses.... but not a donkey. Not like I
could put an easyboot on him and medicate it..... and he is arguing with
me
about his feet.... Sort of trying to gain trust... but messing it up with
the  doctoring.....