[RC] abcess/donkey;vet or farrier? - Laurie Durgin

Any advice welcomed. My large mini donkey came to me last year kicking if you tried to touch his feet. I worked with him some, but alas, not like I should have, the mommy syndrome,4 horses--donkey got neglected with his foot training.
His feet were overgrown, and had a misunderstanding with my farrier. So figuring he'd trim down some on our terrain like my others do, and him making a negative comment, discouraged me from pushing him on it. Later I begged him to do him. He said," of course", we had to twitch, he was rearing around, but got some trim on fronts,told me to work on backs.
Fast forward to him wearing some down, but not really right. I got where I could touch his legs and begin to pick up his fronts, but still jerking backs away(and me not do it as often as I should). Got to where I could touch and pick up a little on fronts to clean out, backs not as far.
Then he went lame about 3 weeks ago. No swelling, heat ,etc. I put him up and gave bute 3 days,stopped, 3 days ,gave again for 2. Worked with feet and cleaned the fronts and bathed him and cleaned with hose.. He was obviously foot sore. I figured abcess.
Sure enough after working daily and him still lame on fronts I found a hole in sole and further up on overgrown toe On LF. I manged to get him where I could squirt betadine on it, He didn't like that.
I have read and studied some "foot books' and am not sure what I am seeing --as he is a donkey. His frogs look ok. But I see a sort of round light color oval sole, I see the bars, but then in front it is darker and pointed and long. Sort of a circle with a darker cone in front of it. I hope I am not seeing the coffin bone..... or a seperation.
He is walking sort of on his heels. I know he isn't right , and obviously sore, doesn't like the rocks.
Should this be done, with timming, in stages? --But, may be tricky, he reared and danced around,and we twitched him. Gain his trust, only to lose it.
Or have the vet traq. him , do everything and give him a good once over ?
After finding the two holes and there looks to be a front hole in the overgrown part on the other foot too... I am worring about white , line or seedy toe.
Or, since the abcess has already blown, should I just work on cleaning out the hole (as my daughter suggested, squirt Iodine in the hole) and work with his feet ,and then get the farrier to trim again? Should I leave him out or stall him ? Try to soak or wrap?
Or call the vet, have him tranqualized, examined, trimmed etc?
I have dwelt with two horse abcesses.... but not a donkey. Not like I could put an easyboot on him and medicate it..... and he is arguing with me about his feet.... Sort of trying to gain trust... but messing it up with the doctoring.....