Re: Re: [RC] My New Barefoot Saddle - cschiro

I agree with some of your "gripes", although they are very minor because the
Barefoot pros outweigh the cons! The billets are SOOO long - it's crazy! You
can almost put them under the horses belly and tie them together in a knot! I
had to punch more holes at the top, but I think I will also go find a 20"
girth. Maybe I will just cut the bottoms of the billets so there are quite as
long. The pommel rings are not in the right position for my pommel bag so I
will have to make some modifications. And the Barefoot western fenders I bought
are difficult to work with and adjust.

I think I forgot to mention one other thing I love about this saddle. The
stirrups are in a great position under you to keep you very balanced. I can
actually stand up at a long trot. I could never do that before in my other
saddles. I had to stick my butt out, get into more of a 2-point, and grab a
handful of mane!

 Now, for my gripes. I bought the barefoot english leathers and had to punch
4 more holes in them, and I am 5'7". Maybe I ride with a shorter stirrup than
they intend for a treeless saddle, who knows. Also, I have (so far) not found
a pack that I like with this saddle, it needs more gear rings. Also, the
saddle is so long down the sides that I have had to locate a 20" girth. Not
an easy task. Luckily Wintec makes one, but I have to use a cover with it
since the neoprene galls one of my mares.  The billets on the saddle will
touch each other under the horse's belly. I normally use a 24" with long
billeted Wintecs, and a 28" with my big horn western. However, I also had
this same problem with my Bob Marshall, had to buy a pony sized girth for it.
 Can't beat it for comfort, however!