Re: [RC] My New Barefoot Saddle - LAWRENCEC BENNASCONI

 I  Have a barefoot that I have been using now for a few months.  I LOVE it. I have a wide arab, a not so wide arab and a morgan. I mainly use it on the morgan, but have not had any problems with it on the other two. I had tried the Bob Marshal, but it rubbed my horse's loins badly. They all hated the BM.  One problem that I ran into with the barefoot is the way they size them. According to their website, I should be in the size 1.  I have a friend that owns a size 1 that I was able to try before I bought one. I normally ride in a 17" wintec, and I found the size 1 a little to confining. After talking to the rep at barefoot, I bought a size 2 and it is perfect. I ride with my stirrups between jumping and dressage length and with the size 1, my thigh was hitting the front of the saddle.  Also, my knees don't hurt in this saddle.
 What really surprised me about the saddle, is that it does not move. Even riding at south mnt and leatherwood, it does not slide forwards or backwards.  I use it with a skito, and have not had any sore back problems.
 Now, for my gripes. I bought the barefoot english leathers and had to punch 4 more holes in them, and I am 5'7". Maybe I ride with a shorter stirrup than they intend for a treeless saddle, who knows. Also, I have (so far) not found a pack that I like with this saddle, it needs more gear rings. Also, the saddle is so long down the sides that I have had to locate a 20" girth. Not an easy task. Luckily Wintec makes one, but I have to use a cover with it since the neoprene galls one of my mares.  The billets on the saddle will touch each other under the horse's belly. I normally use a 24" with long billeted Wintecs, and a 28" with my big horn western. However, I also had this same problem with my Bob Marshall, had to buy a pony sized girth for it.  Can't beat it for comfort, however!