RE: [RC] [RC] Ultium Feed FYI - terry banister

Kentucky Equine Research (KER) has a detailed description of their rice bran EQUI-JEWELL, and it specifically states that it does not cause ulcers or colic.

Terry
"May the Horse be with you"

From: JUDYK89@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Ultium Feed FYI
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:37:19 EDT

I wrote to Purina about this food because I liked everything about it except
that Rice Bran seems to be a major ingredient. It doesn't say so, it's just
listed as one of the first few. I take care of a friends horse who has had
numerous hormonal colic problems and was finally diagnosed with ulcers. We
were told by the treating vets that we should stop the rice bran. However in
my never ending search for the perfect food I wanted to try Ultium, because
this nervous horse needs a source of even energy food besides just the beet
pulp. Mainly because the beet pulp we get isn't very consistent as far as
molasses content, and sometimes she won't eat it, and we're always doctoring it
up. Also, we'd like to cut down on some of supplements we give her, and it
would be great to find the right food with everything in it except for the
daily wormer.

Anyway, thought you'd be interested in the response:

I have read one article that mentioned veterinarians thinking that horses on
rice bran had a higher incidence of ulcers, however, it wasn't based on any
scientific research or investigation, just impressions. There is a great
deal of other information that indicates that rice bran may actually be
beneficial in helping reduce the incidence of ulcers. I don't have enough
information from either direction to make a sound conclusion regarding rice bran and
it's impact on ulcers in horses. I do know that there are pretty consistent
findings that when horses are fed large, high grain meals that they may tend to
have a higher risk for developing ulcers. A product like Ultium that is low
in starchy grains while at the same time is very nutrient and calorie dense,
such that smaller amounts of feed are required to support a horse's
condition work, certainly wouldn't increase a horse's risk of developing ulcers and
may help reduce that risk. We have had several customers use Ultium as part
of a management program to help reduce the recurrence of gastric ulcers in
their horses due to the low starch and good fat content of the product. We
have had no feedback that it was anything other than a beneficial component of
that type of program. We saw no ulcers develop in our research horses, nor r
eports in any of the horses that were fed Ultium during our field trials, so I
feel confident that the level of rice bran or any other ingredient in Ultium
shouldn't contribute to a higher risk of ulcers.
Thanks,
Karen
Karen E. Davison, Ph.D.
Manager - Equine Technical Service
Land O'Lakes Purina Feed LLC
Office: 830-997-7135
Fax: 830-990-4446

I'm looking into finding your Purina Ultium for my friends horse (although
it's hard to find in my area). My one question hasn't been answered anywhere
that I've seen. How much Rice Bran is in this food? Her mare has been
diagnosed with gastric ulcers, and while she has a clean bill of health now, I was
told that rice bran sets the stomach up for ulcers. In every other way, this
feed would be perfect for this mare, but I've cut out all rice bran from her
diet. The other feeds seem like they're too high energy for this very high
energy horse. What do your research people say about this?