Re: [RC] West Nile Virus - Adverse Reaction - Lari Shea

I vaccinated my 60 horses last year against West Nile, some with Merial, some with Fort Dodge vaccines.  Two of these horses developed large abcesses in their necks at the injection sites, which developed a couple weeks after receiving the injections.  My vet recommended continued riding of one mare while we polticed her neck, gave her bute, and cleaned the area daily after it began to drain.  A gelding's abcess was much more severe... his neck eventually bulged like he had a small watermelon under the skin, and it took weeks to begin draining.  We do keep records of which horse received which vaccine, and we are pretty sure that of these two horses, one received Merial and one Fort Dodge, although since it was weeks afterwards before the abcesses were noticible, we no longer had the vials.   Neither of these horses has ever had an adverse reaction to other vaccines, and we hit them with "everything" yearly.   If I do decide to inoculate these two against West Nile this year, I will prepare the site as for a surgery, shaving and scrubbing with betadine, and will experiment with giving only 10-50% of a recommended dose.  I may also inject a dose of penicillin close to the vacination injection site.  I'm still researching these possibilities.  Different vets I've conferred with have different advice...

Please email me privately with experiences and suggestions regarding West Nile vaccination.

Lari

"What unites us all is a love of the out-of-doors, a spirit of adventure, and a passion for horses!"

Lari Shea                       http://www.horse-vacation.com
Ricochet Ridge Ranch    707-964-7669 ranch phone
24201 North Highway One 707-964-9669 home office ph/fax
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Riding Vacations on the Mendocino Coast with lodging at unique B&B Inns
                 International Riding Vacations