[RC] West Nile Virus - Adverse Reaction - Patti Kuvik

>My DVM  has promised to contact Merial and report the incident. I hope to
>have some  feedback in 10 days or so.  I asked him to record the lot number
etc.
>of  the vaccine. He almost tossed it out in the trash.  We would have been
>dumpster diving!
>
>If anyone has experienced similar situation, or if  you have any
suggestions
>regarding this adverse reaction, I would truly  appreciate it.

You do not have to be a vet to report an adverse reaction to a vaccine and all reactions should be reported:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/cvb/ic/adverseeventreport.htm.

This only takes a couple of minutes to do online and we can't always rely on busy vets to report every reaction unless your horse has a "serious" reaction (such as anaphylaxis).

The manufacturer should also be notified (and advise them it was also reported on the USDA adverse event report site).

You'll need the brand name, manufacturer?s name and the serial or lot number ? record this information when the vaccine is given. (Failure to provide immunity is also considered an adverse reaction for some vaccines ? you may not know this until months afterward so it can be very helpful if you recorded and kept this information.)

(This is from an article on adverse reactions I prepared for a local club - if you'd like a copy, email me privately.)

Patti Kuvik

Vail AZ