Re: [RC] stud fee's - Mary Ann Spencer

This is also called 'horse trading' or bartering.  Has worked for lots of civilizations for many centuries.  Just hard for the IRS to tax-lol    mas
----- Original Message -----
From: Laurie
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 9:52 AM
Subject: [RC] stud fee's

I'll chime in as another stallion owner.  I have someone interested in breeding to one of
my stallions.  They own a very nice mare that would cross well.  They are only able
to swing $750 for the breeding but offered a cash deal.  I'm not one to turn my nose up
at $750, and with hay prices and availability what it is in CA, I could certainly use the $$.

But to be honest, it just doesn't seem quite worth it.  I have 3 mares of my own and 1
outside mare to breed this month and next, then I'll have another 2 to breed.

Like so many others I have a family, work full time with a 1 hour commute each way plus
20 horses that I take care of myself.

I told them that I understood their situation and if they were willing to wait until a more
convenient time for me then I might consider it.

If you have thick skin, it never hurts to offer a stallion owner less than the advertised stud
fee, especially if you have a really nice mare with some exceptional qualities,
if they are having a slow year, need a new barn or have a load of hay or shavings
coming in they may just take you up on your offer.  The worst that can happen is they say
no, or become super offended and turn icky, but that's what the thick skin is for.