Re: [RC] Reno Rideres Threaten - Joe Long

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 12:42:17 -0500, "Jonni" <jonnij@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is a reminder that ALL land users must get along out there. All it
takes is one rider getting nasty with another land user, to possibility ruin
it for others. In an area that has both horses, and ATV's and dirt bikes,
riders should consider this, and be alert for them on the trails. If you
horse can't deal with them, either avoid the situations, or train your
horse. I actually prefer to share trails with the motorized bikes, than
mountain bikes, who can sneak up on you silently, and then accidentally
scare both you and your horse. With an ATV, you can hear them, and if you
need to get off trail some, to avoid a conflict, do it. They sure can't hear
your horses quiet hoof beats trotting along.

Of course, if there was a rider who was nasty to one of the dirt bike
riders, chances are, they are not reading this anyway, and if they are, feel
they were justified for what ever reason, to be not so nice to someone else
who is just out enjoying their sport of choice for the weekend.

We need to work to keep all the public lands just that, public. And that
means sharing the trails with all users.

Jonni

I went to the website and read the posts.  One biker was very agitated and did
suggest that he might retaliate; others admonished him to calm down.  I
registered on the website and wrote a reply myself, answering some of the
questions they raised about the ride and trying to smooth things over.  I did,
though, mention that even the best-trained horse can be spooked by being
startled by something coming up on him suddenly, and suggested that when they
know horses are in the area that they take a little extra caution to avoid that.

With more people becoming active in these activities, and shrinking places to
ride, we have to get along with the other users (and they have to get along with
us).

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx