[RC] West Nile Virus - Adverse Reaction - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Deborah Anderson  seillean@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 4.07.05 my 9 yr old Arabian Gelding was given a 2nd Recombitek (Merial) 6
month booster and experienced a severe anaphylactic-like reaction approximately
40 minutes later.

He had his lst Recombitek injection <previous, 5 Ft Dodge boosters,  before
this new drug was used and recommended by our local DVM>  last October and
exhibited signs of colic a few hours later.  My horse was  given Flu/Rhino (sp)
@ the same time.  He also had his teeth floated.  Was given sedative for this
procedure.

The reaction in October 2004 started out several hours later displaying
symptoms of  "tying-up" and soon progressed to pawing and trying to get down to
roll.  Full blown gas colic before vet arrived. DVM administered NAISDS and
drugs for gas colic.  My gelding was better the next day but stocked up behind.

DVM felt that too many vaccines/drugs given @ one time.  Fast forward to today.

Today, 40 mins after being given the vaccination,<the only booster
administered>  he was down in the pasture.  I walked out to the pasture, his
pasture buddy ran to the gate. My horse got up, ran to the gate and began
bucking and kicking in place.  Pooped.  Started pawwing.  He got up and down.
We did not try and retrain him, obviously in serious pain.  DVM called
immediately. My best friend who is ER RN was with me. Horse was acting like his
entire body hurt.  He would stretch out, turn his head toward his left side,
point his hind leg toward his nose and bend.  This is how an episode began last
year.  Next get down, rolled a bit, stopped and then  stretched out on the
ground (similar to horses who have HYPP attacks) head on the ground arced away
from his front legs.  His respiration/breathing was very fast. It was if he was
going into anaphylactic-like shock.  The episode would subside he would get up
and stand for a bit.  Dull eyes. Obviously in pain. These seemed to occur every
11 minutes.

Minutes seem like hours when one is waiting for the vet.

My gelding got down and was still  laying on his chest.  Resting, not
rolling...we let him stay down and rubbed his large muscles. This seemed to
comfort him.  We felt very helpless.  The vet finally arrived, 40 minutes or
more had passed.

Got him up, listen to his heart and gut.  Administered banamine and another
drug for the gas (don't remember the name, began with a "D")  Within minutes,
the horse was feeling better much to everyone's relief.

My DVM was white as a sheet. I probably was too.

I am not using this Recombetec vaccine again.  I would rather deal with the
virus or go back to using the Ft. Dodge product.

My DVM has promised to contact Merial and report the incident. I hope to have
some feedback in 10 days or so.  I asked him to record the lot number etc. of
the vaccine. He almost tossed it out in the trash.  We would have been dumpster
diving!

If anyone has experienced similar situation, or if you have any  suggestions
regarding this adverse reaction, I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.
seillean@xxxxxxxxxxx