Re: [RC] stallions - Truman Prevatt

Nancy wrote:

Whoa!
Good questions, all of them.

Since I have both non Arabs (walking horses) and Arabs - it depends on which mare I would be breeding. First I would look for an horse with conformation to complement the conformation of the mare. I would look for a stallion that would complement the mare's temperament. I don't mind a hot stallion, but not to a hot mare. If the mare were dead calm I'd want a stallion with a little heat. I would look at the heart rate and pick one on the low side of normal. Size - depends on the size of the mare. At any rate I would not want to breed to a stallion smaller than the mare.

If it were an Arab mare I would look at TB, saddlebred and maybe QH stallions along with Arabs and pick the best horse. If it were a walking horse mare and I decided not to breed to a walking horse, I'd look for an Arab stallion. It is important that I have spent enough time with a stallion to know him before I bred a mare to him.

As far as endurance background - there are so few stallions doing endurance that if you worried about that you would have a very small set to select from. Good conformation that complements the mare, big heart and the right temperment are more important to me than record. If the horse has a good endurance record all the better. And the final factor and maybe most important, does the stallion "feel right" to breed to the mare.

Truman

--

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” Steven Weinberg – Nobel Laureate, Physics