RE: [RC] Mares/Stallion fees/Arab number...etc. - Laurie Underwood

Is your Mom looking for any kids to adopt?  I’m available ….  :o)

Laurie Underwood

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jody Rogers-Buttram
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 8:51 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Mares/Stallion fees/Arab number...etc.

Hello All,

 This breeding and mare thing is something that I have posted about before and I believe was slammed for.  But, hey, I will go down that path again.

1.      I have all mares right now and I like it that way.  I feel that I have proven mares,  by proven I mean, they have to their group credit: multi day rides ( on all of them), 100 mile rides(on half of them), wins, BC's, 1000+ miles on most and high completion rates.  They also are from proven, endurance, CMK bloodlines.

2.      I do breed my OWN horses.  Meaning, I am not selling them, but using them myself.  I work to find a nice stallion and then pay the price for a nice baby.  Right now I have a yearling, that will be IMO a top winning horse someday and maybe FEI or World caliber.  Not, that I would go there.

3.      In order to not do what happened years ago with the Arabian breed and create the breeding of "non-quality" horses, we may have to pay the price.  I have been lucky so far and found very reasonable rates.    But these are horses that haven't been pushed with the advertisements of the show horses.  You just have to work to find them.  If you want to breed to a really nice stallion in northern IN, his is nice.  Big, 16 hands, Russian bred, his name is Selket Xerxes.  $300!!!!!!!!!!   Unless he went up from 2 years ago.

So, maybe some of us will have to pay as much for a horse as a truck.  Right now, I am driving a free truck that my mother gave me and free trailer that she bought me.  But, I plan on raising my own endurance horses.  That way, I know what they are, what was done to them (good or bad) and I can only blame myself for their failures.  That's just me....I know everyone out there can't do it.

Thanks for listening...I will wait for all the fallout. :))

Jody and all the girls.

Do you Yahoo!?