Re: [RC] colic in California - Dyane Smith

Hi, Jeannie,

I also am battling a gas colic that could be weather-related in my 27 year old gelding.  I've had two vets out; he's had banamine, some new drug that I don't remember the name of, been tubed and the vet did a rectal.  My instructions are to walk him 15 minutes every hour.  Since the tubing and the walking, he's pooped twice and pee'd once.  However, he still lies flat, passes a fair amount of gas, groans and is definitely uncomfortable.  It's snowing heavily up here in N. CA and I don't think either of us enjoys the walks.  He powers through them like he thinks there must be a certain number of laps we have to do and we should just get them over with.  On the other hand, he certainly isn't comfortable in his stall either.  He's eaten a few bites of grass, a tiny amount of hay and has refused carrots and beet pulp.

Looks like we are in for a long day.  Good luck.

Dyane