Re: [RC] Arabian Numbers+SUPPLY & DEMAND - Bette Lamore

Now Mary Ann,
If you consider more than $800 bucks for a 2 year old creeping into "megabuck"
stature, I'd like to know what you pay for hay and what your labor (hourly wage) is. We
take good care of horses 24/7 and researching bloodlines and taking pains to look at
results to formulate the best matches to produce athletic and correct individuals, not to
mention the cost of procuring good breeding stock. I bet you spend more on fast food than
$800 per year ;-)
IF your employer or your husband's offered you let's say $1000 or even $2000
for a job of raising and being responsible for a project for 4-5 years (by the
time you factor in mare care and raising a horse), would you be insulted? For
some of us, this is not a hobby but a sense of pride with the ultimate goal to
raise the PERFECT horse or line of horses-- a goal perhaps unachievable but
something to strive for-- and yes it takes work and planning. And if I hear one
more time that Val found Cash for $500 in someone's back yard, I think I'll
electronically vomit!!!!! Yes, there are tales of people locating Van Goghs in
backyard sales... etc.. AND you have to go to a LOT of backyard sales! You
wouldn't go into say Sears and offer them less than wholesale--- same with a
breeder.
So let's not beat this into the ground anymore or insult those of us who are
serious about providing a good product (and one we love).
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)

Mary Ann Spencer wrote:
"But the rank and file endurance CANDIDATE should not be a $500 weanling or an $800 two year old."

This is not in the spirit of this sport. Sounds like we all should be paying megabucks. Not the American way. Just why the snobery??? Cost vs effective use are not necessarily equivalent.

Mary Ann, who has done endurance on such horses but not extensively due to personal problems and not the fault of such horse!!!!

-