Re: [RC] Bits - I'm Confused - abigail Madden

Hi,

I'm not real experienced in the endurance world (only a few LDs under my belt), but I have gained a lot of experience in schooling horses for desired effects.

From your description of the horse's behavior, its not just the bit, its his training.  He needs to learn to mind the rider no matter what type of bit you use.  Granted, you want him to be comfortable in his head gear, but you shouldn't need to have a severe bit in order to have good brakes.  (And just so there is no confusion, I'm not saying that this is what you think, I'm just speaking in generalities).

I'd suggest starting over with him from the ground up.  Ground work, bitting up, etc.  Get him used to giving to the bit.  Dropping his head, collecting up when you ask, etc.  He needs to learn the rules and where the behavior perameters lie.  If you don't know how to do this, there are lots of good horse people who do.  I'm not talking about big bucks here either.  There are reasonable, reputable trainers to be found.  You can do the work yourself, but it takes A LOT of time, patience, and dedication........the rewards are wonderful.  Also, I don't know what your experience level in the saddle is, but you might think about taking riding lessons yourself.  We can all benefit from that.  Making sure that you are a balanced rider with calm hands helps with communication between you and the horse.

Good luck,

abigail
Chico, CA

cschiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Are there certain bits out there that tend to work with horses in the ER/CTR sports to encourage them to have a low(er) head and stretch out (versus being high-headed and it a collected frame)? I don't know that much about bits and trying to educate myself, but there are soooo many different kinds and variations - I'm sooo confused. I know different bits put pressure on different area and can raise or lower the head. I have an arabian I just bought a few weeks ago. Last weekend I tried 4 or 5 bits on him in the arena to see what his reaction was. He went ballistic (very high-headed, head-throwing, couldn't stop/slow him, no directional control) with a Dr. Bristol double-jointed snaffle and also an English Hackamore. He seemed to be fine in a solid D-ring with a roller in the middle but because it appeared to be very gentle bit and had no curb chain, I felt it didn't have the extra control if I need it. I am currently riding him in a Uexeter Kimberwick (solid bit with low port) with a curb chain (has to stay loose or he goes ballis
tic). He seems ok in the Kimberwick but he sometimes throws his head up when I try and halt or slow him down at a walk or trot (doesn't do this at a canter) - and this is why I am investigating different bits. The Kimberwick is also a heavy bit. Previous owners said they used a Argentine Snaffle on him. I'm not sure how HE like it but they successfully completed a 25 mile ER. He is used to trotting and cantering/galloping everywhere (previously, before me), so sometimes I have difficulty keeping him in check when cantering (he'll take off like a speeding bullet), so I definetly want some "brakes" if I need them. I want to stay away from medium or high ports and jointed bits because he seems to hate these when I tried them with him. Any suggestions? Anybody know anything about/use Weymouth bits or a Pelham with a bit converter (so you can use one set of reins instead of two sets)?