Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 8:58 PM
Subject: [RC] Tying Up- Help Needed!

Hi everybody,

This lurker needs help.  I've read the archives on tying up but wanted some more advice.  Cowboy, my 10 year old Half Arabian (1/4 Saddlebred) and I have been doing great and planning to do Tevis this year.  We have about 650 miles over the past few years in 50s.   I am a conservative rider, not interested in racing.  Cowboy has been awesome on every ride that I've done with him.  Not a single problem, until last week.

Three days ago, we went for a short ride for fun, some trotting and cantering, in the wash.  The same routine that we've done many, many times, nothing out of the ordinary at all, and very easy for him.  On the way home, he suddenly lost impulsion, which is very unusual for him, and I noticed his rump muscles shaking.  I got off and walked home and the muscles in his hind end were very stiff by the time we got back.   I just couldn't believe that this was happening.

Has anyone else experienced tying up from out of the blue like this?   And what did you do about it?   Is it possible it could just be an isolated incidence or can I expect this to be a major problem from now on?  He looks ok today, and seems to be moving fine.  His urine was never discolored, as far as I saw.   I am hand walking him and then will pony, then start riding again, depending on how he continues to look and feel.   I had a 50 planned for April 16th, but thinking I should forget about that regardless of how well he is doing next week?

I thought my feeding / management program was good.  I generally only do a conditioning ride once a week (usually about 12-15 miles) and then do pleasure riding or some arena work 1-2 days.   He is turned out on about a 1/2 acre 24/7.   Daily, he eats bermuda grass hay, practically free choice, about 3-4 lbs. of alfalfa, about 3-4 lbs. of Strategy, and beet pulp.  I generally put loose salt in his feed, but not religiously.  Currently, I've been out of it for a few weeks.  I don't think he uses the salt block much.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know there can be many different causes- not enough warm-up, too much grain, too much calcium, e'lyte imbalance etc., but I haven't changed anything in my program and never had any problems before.  He is currently in the best shape that he has ever been in.  I am so hoping to try Tevis and other great rides this year.

Stefanie Daratony