Re: [RC] thumps - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

J>>>ust had to pull my half Arab half saddlebred at Cuyama on Saturday because
he had a bad case of thumps. I know all the stories about Alfalfa etc. It's so
weird because he has great gut sounds and is well >>>hydrated. Thanks for any
ideas

If he's well hydrated but low on electrolytes that extra hydration is just
watering down what he *has* got. Thumps is caused by the body being
alkaline...makes the phrenic nerve over the heart hypersensitive so it fires
every time the heart beats jerking the flank. I think of it like a dash light
going off...it's a warning that things are not right.

I had one pull for thumps when I made the mistake of using some non-endurance
electrolytes. Those are made for a horse that is acidic to make it more
alkaline...which means I was giving a horse that was alkaline something that
would make him more alkaline...trying to put out a fire with gasoline!

You didn't say what you have tried so I'm going to just say the basics. If I
were you I'd check my electrolytes, then I'd give them. Here in the SE I give
the night before, morning before, and every vet check at the least, every hour
at the most. I'd give pretty much no alfalfa at home (maybe a bite to keep the
gut accustomed) and free choice alfalfa during the ride.

I make my own electrolytes, 2 parts salt, 2 parts lite salt and one part
crushed Tums. One dose = one 35mm film canister.

Angie

--- Begin Message ---
Just had to pull my half Arab half saddlebred at Cuyama on Saturday because he had a bad case of thumps. He has had them off and on for years but without any serious trouble. However, he just wouldn't come down this time. Naturally, he was very high for the first couple of hours but that is nothing new. Does anyone have any new info on dealing with such a horse prior to a ride. I know all the stories about Alfalfa etc. It's so weird because he has great gut sounds and is well hydrated. Thanks for any ideas

--- End Message ---