[RC] thumps - Forrrest

Just had to pull my half Arab half saddlebred at Cuyama on Saturday because he had a bad case of thumps. He has had them off and on for years but without any serious trouble. However, he just wouldn't come down this time. Naturally, he was very high for the first couple of hours but that is nothing new. Does anyone have any new info on dealing with such a horse prior to a ride. I know all the stories about Alfalfa etc. It's so weird because he has great gut sounds and is well hydrated. Thanks for any ideas