Re: [RC] Mare/ puffy jaws-vet - ott/ Fri.- - Equi20

I know strangles can be tricky to treat and if given antibiotics some horses will have the disease settle in other parts of their body(Bastard strangles).  I do know if it is strangles that the horse should be isolated to avoid the disease.  Your vet would have to make the diagnosis and sometimes the swelling becomes so painful they will lance the area to let the pus drain.  Hopefully you will be able to get a hold of a vet soon.