Re: [RC] [RC] GARMIN GPSHR 301 Equine - Roger Rittenhouse

April Thanks - I ordered one of these - cheap enough to test out. I think it will work fine since the G301 uses the 5vdc USB bus with its cable to charge the unit from the computer. This looks like a powered USB port..so I see no problem.

Used my unit to test out the setup for a rider/driver. Compared to the TIMEX GPS - I did 4 m loop. TIMEX GPS said 4.1miles G301 said 3.9.. hey close enough?
HR was accurate compared to the std analog HRM. The only difference I noted was the G301 was slow to change on the display. I attribute that to the internal data smoothing. The analog RF units have almost none.
The TIMEX HR I can set the data smoothing off. Cannot do that with the G301.?
The data was accurate, so it is good enough for me.

Data program is OK not great but usable. I saw no way to export the data to csv or txt format for import to a spreadsheet - I would not really use that anyway.

G301 units coming in next week.

Gadget person no not really.. I rode with 3 sets of leads and electrodes, to get 3 HRM working and 2 GPS to compare data.. two HR watches on one wrist, G301 on the other.. Timex gps on the helmet.. IF a storm came up Omni and I would have been fried..3 lead wires and electrodes under the girth and 3 under the saddle.. no interference with the other..
now THAT'S 'gadgets'? took 15 minutes to wire him up..

Add the temp gage and we are ready..

Roger Rittenhouse
Equine Performance Tech
888-216-6602 USA/CAN voice only
423-253-3882 Cell voice only
724-408-9909 FAX
www.vmaxept.com

April wrote:
Cool, Roger! Glad you got a chance to try the unit out. I really like
it (obviously!).

I know that the unit only has 14 hours on a charge, but it does charge
quite quickly. There are 2 options for charging during vet checks. The
first option is a laptop computer. Hardly practical for all,
especially at away vet checks.

The second option is inexpensive and should work very well. It is a
battery extender for USB-powered electronics. Basically, it is a box
that takes AA batteries and you plug the USB cable into the box. Could
work on the horse if you don't wear the unit on your wrist, but I
really only would use it at vet checks. If you charge every vet check,
the battery should last the entire 100. Maybe somebody could test my
theory as I haven't done a 100.

Here is one. http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/batexwitusb.html or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=84084&item=5761478998

Can do a search on google or eBay to find others.

April
Nashville, TN