[RC] Coast Starlight - Diane Trefethen

The Coast Starlight is a Great Ride, at least as far as San Jose :) Several years ago my daughter and I spent Christmas visiting my Mom in the San Diego area and we rode from Solana Beach to SJ, changing trains in LA. The view of the ocean waves along the shore is nothing short of spectacular. On our particular journey, the train had added an old-fashioned, steel/iron/wood private car at the very end of the train. Not only was there just one engine but they had forgotten to load sand. After the stop at San Luis Obispo, there is a long grade going up the mountains to be followed by a drop down into the valleys leading North. Well, the train got about a quarter of the way up the Cuesta Grade before it became the "Engine That Couldn't" <chuckle>. So they backed down past San Luis and made another run. This time we got about half way up <big grin>. So, back down again, several miles past San Luis and again we raced past the SLO station and on up the grade. Got about 2/3's of the way up and stopped. By now a lot of folks were beginning to bitch that they'd be late into SJ and why couldn't the train get up the grade (duh), etc. My daugher and I giggled and laughed. Who the heck takes a train when time is of the essence? Hello! After due deliberation, the crew decided the best way to handle the situation was to drop and lock the rear cars, take the front half of the train over the grade to a siding, then go back for the rear of the train. Oh, and simultaneously open the bar for free drinks! We were about 6 hours late into SJ but boy was that a fun trip! And yes, the grousers were still at it, talking lawsuits, etc, all the way home.

Tom Sites wrote:
On a side note, anyone know anything about the train that goes from LA-Seattle?