RE: [RC] Rider Weight - Melissa Alexander

Why is it impolite to call some one fat and not when someone is called
skinny? Ts

Who says it isn't?

In American culture, however, I'd much rather be called/considered "skinny"
instead of "fat." What are the connotations of skinny? "Needs to eat more."
"Works out too much." "Has a too fast metabolism." Jokes about skinny people
are, usually, followed with wishful overtones. It's only when someone is so
thin that they look unhealthy that people become concerned.

What are the connotations of fat? Lazy. Eats too much. Sloppy. Slovenly.
Doesn't try. "Should be ashamed of herself." Jokes are NEVER followed with
wishful overtones. Instead the tone is disgust. Disdain.

I was at the gym the other day, changing in the locker room. I was, as I
always am, amazed by the variety in shapes and sizes of the women. Every
combination of height and weight. Old, young. Wrinkled. Unblemished. And I
was amazed at how beautiful and unique they were -- and how none of them
were perfect. But I also couldn't help but overhear the self-disparaging
remarks. Beautiful women who have been made to feel ashamed of their
imperfect bodies. It's not Hollywood and the media that does it. It's
thoughtless remarks like "lose a few" or "skinny."

People should think before they speak. Seriously. What you say *does* impact
people, no matter how offhand it is. Being "honest" -- who the hell asked
you anyway? -- doesn't give you a license to hurt people. I've spent the
afternoon, after reading the posts, feeling bad about myself and my riding
-- and most especially, my desire to ride in endurance in the future. I'm
second-guessing my choices. Doesn't matter that I'm actively working to lose
weight or that I'm taking riding lessons to get better. Now I'll wonder
who's riding behind me, disgusted and appalled that I should dare to get on
a horse.

Melissa