[RC] Preparing Young horses - Allegra C

Hi, this is Allegra.  Some of you might remembering me asking questions about conditioning my old Arab Saint, and trying to, but never making it to any rides.

  Well I was given this 3 year old, beautiful paint/pinto?, mut horse. Some people thought he was part arab and part... some thing bigger, some people thought he was a walker cross.. No one really knows.

 What happened? Well my boss, who owns a gaited horse, bought a second horse named Boco. This horse was 3 years old, thought the exact month of his birth is unknown, and presumably a late baby. My boss asked that I train him. I was to teach him basic stuff like neck reining, and try to "bomb proof" him. (Expose him to things my boss might meet while riding.)

  My boss came out to my house where Boco was staying to see his progress. I wasn't prepared, so I just put on my helmet and rode him around in a halter and lead rope. My boss thinking we went well together, and not thinking Boco would ever gait, gave the horse to me. One condition, if I ever sold the horse he would get half.

   Boco will be 4 some time this year, though I can't say exactly when. I would like to start training/conditioning him to do endurance rides, and by the way, he gaits for me.  He is very big, at least compared to my other horses, not in height, but in bulk. (Bone mass?) He has large hooves, which being a farriers daughter I am delirious about. He is also very sweet and eager to please, though he is also very smart and gets bored easily.

   Ok, I now it depends on each horse, which is why I?ve tried to give a description of him here, but does any one have any advice on how much is ?to much? to ride him?  Besides not riding too much, and of course the horses inexperience and lack of balance, is there any thing else I need to consider when riding him? He is young, so I don?t want to make riding a bad experience for him. Comments? Suggestions?

Allex

Do you Yahoo!?