[RC] Rider fitness/horse carrying capacity - RISTREE

Well heavens, I'm no expert on rider fitness, but I'm working on taking off some pounds and getting more fit in an effort to be a better partner to my horse too.

I came to endurance from dressage and one of the things I've learned is that horses carry weight MUCH better if they're traveling longitudinally straight (both hind legs stepping through strong and straight) and with a softly, swinging back.  In other words, if they're giving you their back they're supporting their spine, and their whole body really, by being what we call "through" in dressage terms.

A couple of lessons with a good instructor can help you identify if you're riding straight, and trust me, our bodies lie to us all the time.

Amen on the slow trotting up hills and descending hills, and recognizing when the horses is going crooked to avoid loading one of their hind legs.  Lateral work with the horse swinging in a nice working trot helps to isolate and strengthen the adductors and abductors, which all lend to better carrying capacity.

Switching diagonals regularly, and spending about half of the time on each lead.

For me, lots of Pilates and Yoga and aerobic work on the elliptical (so that I have the endurance and ab strength to carry myself straight and upright for the entire distance).  There is nothing worse at the end of a ride than feeling like you're not helping the horse.  That's the pits.

So far, this is working for me.

As to the folks horrified by my chunky behind, I say please go ahead and kiss it.

--Patti