RE: [RC] Calling someone skinny.... - Melissa Alexander

I have often wished I could get anorexia so I would not be fighting the
battle of the plump.

I understand what you're saying, though I expect you're probably going to
get flamed for it. You don't *really* want to be anorexic. (Some) Anorexics
may be physically thin, but psychologically they don't see themselves that
way -- hence the reason they continue to starve themselves. Some people live
with anorexia for years... and some die within a few WEEKS. It's a vicious
disease that permanently damages their bodies.

And don't think they -- or anyone else -- isn't fighting the battle of the
plump. While they have the disease they see themselves as fat and are
fighting it every minute. When recovering, they are having to deal with the
psychological trauma of gaining weight, plus they have an incredibly screwed
up metabolism. Even if they get steadfastly on the road to recovery, they
will be dealing with it every day for the rest of their lives.

It's really very, very, very few people in the US who don't worry about
their weight -- and there is no magical weight or size where you will be
satisfied and stop worrying about it. There are a few people who really do
have charged metabolisms and can eat "whatever they want" -- but look at
their lifestyles. There's probably some fraction of a percent who can do
that and still sit on their butt, but the ones I've seen are incredibly
active people.

Everyone else in this country is making choices every day. Do I eat fast
food or go home and make something healthy? Do I eat one donut or three --
or abstain? Soda or water with my meal? Can I get to the gym before my
meeting? I've got three kids at home, do I have time to work out and spend
time on myself?

It's easy for overweight people, including myself, to start to believe I've
gotten a raw deal... that I'm dealing with things no one else has to deal
with, that I have to deprive myself but no one else does. It just isn't
true. It's easy to see a thin person eating a huge dessert and to think "it
isn't fair." But it probably is... chances are that person has made
sacrifices in other areas in order to have that dessert guilt-free. Or not
guilt-free -- I've met far too many people of weights that seemed perfect to
me that had far more psychological issues about their own weights that I do!

Do various individuals have physical issues that make it easier or harder
for them to lose (or gain) weight? Sure. So what? I have the deck I've been
dealt -- there are people who have it both easier and harder than me -- but
we've ALL got to make the choices on a daily basis.

I just think it's sad that we suffer the effects of all this obsession with
fat (rather than on health and fitness) and yet we continue to infect the
younger generation with it. My friend's five year old wonders if she's too
fat....

Melissa