Re: [RC] Calling someone skinny.... - Bette Lamore

Hi Maryann
Be careful what you wish for; people DIE from anorexia. The prognosis
for getting over it is VERY dismal--- once started, it is hard to undue.
I am a therapist and have worked with people who were desperately trying
to undo what they started-- initially just trying to lose a few pounds.
IT becomes an obsession with a fear taking over the person-- an irrational fear that
food is actually bad for them. Really, you do not even want to joke
about this. The only way to really lose weight is to start visualizing
yourself at your ideal weight and tell yourself that every day in every
way you are perfect. Then your subconscious starts to get in gear and
does what ever is necessary to bring that to fruition (in technical
terms you are creating "cognitive dissonance" and your body wants to
resolve this issue). Even if you lose the weight through Jenny Craig,
whatever--- if your mind still sees you as fat, your body will regain
the fat to fulfill your vision.
Oh well, this is off topic for riding, yet since the subject was brought
up.....
Take care
Bette

Spencer, Maryann LTC wrote:
The BIG part of all of this is that the culture/atmosphere in the US
today is skinny women with large breasts. MANY females of all ages
are striving for this. Those of us who are NOT skinny are discriminated against more than those that are skinny. Skinny is in
and hence the anorexia, etc, which was unheard of until the last 30
or so yrs. History has women with 'curves' and thin was not in. This
day and age, humans who would not have survived in a more harse society are surviving and reproducing. It is complex. We live in a
land of plenty. But we also live in the unrealistic 'shadow' of Hollywood. I have often wished I could get anorexia so I would not
be fighting the battle of the plump. mas ------------------------------------------------------------------------
*From:* ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Amber Roberts *Sent:* Thu 3/24/2005 10:33 AM *To:* heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx *Cc:* guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx *Subject:* Re:
[RC] Calling someone skinny....

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Yep. And although the skinny extreme may not be as common as the other extreme in our country, it is a health issue that is sometimes too hushed up in our culture. Anorexia nervosa and bulemia are SEVERE health issues, and there are others who are too
skinny for other health reasons. If someone is struggling with either situation, the remarks can be as cruel and cutting as the remarks about fat people.

Heidi

I've read that Terri Schaivo's heart attack was brought on by an eating disorder, so yes, this is extremely serious.

Amber

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)