[RC] re:Cramping While Shoeing - Judy Houle

Hi Cynthia,
Its always important to discuss any issues going on
with your horse with your massage practitioner, or the
problem areas can easily get missed.  It sounds like
your horse may have a long standing spasm that has
become very painful.  He may need neuromuscular work
such as TTEAM, the Linda Tellington Jones method, as
well as deep tissue, sportsmassage style work. Very
often you can find massage therapists who are also
versed in T-Touch.  I'm not certified by Linda, but I
have attended enough of her clinics to be able to
utilize her methods when needed, in addition to the
sports massage-type style that I use.  I would also
highly recommend getting one of Linda's books that
describes all the different touches in pictures and
diagrams, as well as attending one of her clinics.
Her methods are not hard and are very effective for
the layperson to use when necessary.

To find a massage therapist in your area I would
contact the Equissage people in Virginia, they have a
website: www. equissage.com, and they could direct you
to one of their graduates in your area. Also, you
might try the International Assoc. of Animal Massage
Therapists.  There's a link to them on the Equissage
site.  You might also ask the Equissage people if they
can refer you to a good equine chiropractor in your
area.  If they can't, then ask some of the massage
people they refer you to who they know.  You can also
do a web search for equine chiropractors. There's a
national organization for them, but offhand I don't
know what it's called. If you do a google search you
can probably find it and get a list of them. The
larger hunter jumper dressage barns tend to use
chiropractors, you might try calling them to see if
they can recommend someone too.

Good Luck,

Judy Houle
Maximum Equine
Muscle Therapy
(in the Sierra Foothills of N. California, Tevis
country)

--- Cynthia Eyler <eylerca@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My gelding has what sounds like a similar problem.

It's never caused lameness, but when you lift either
of my gelding's hind legs, especially the way most
farriers do it, the leg starts to jerk
uncontrollably.  Various farriers and vets have told
me that it's involuntary.  My current farrier has
pretty much gotten around the problem by not lifting
those legs very high, which he's able to do because
he's a yoga practitioner and can hold what would be
an impossible position for most others.

I had massage done on this horse a few years ago,
but the subject of needing a chiro was never raised.
 (To be fair, I never thought to tell the person
doing the massage about this issue.)  How do I find
the right massage/chiro to investigate this further?

Cindy
(in central Maryland)