[RC] bitless bridle continued - Claire Nystrom

He actually had a full year of ground work-- a mix of parelli and john
lyons, before I broke him last spring.  He had no training when we
bought him and had been bottle raised and used as a stallion.  I
actually rode him in the bitless today in the ring first, then on the
trail and tried just holding a crop in my hand (never have to use it,
he has a lot of go withou t it).  I tried holding the crop because my
boyfriend always carries one and Tobi generally doesn't act up with
him even though he's not a terribly experienced rider.  What a
difference, he spooked at a bike, but he stopped the second I told him
to.  He was also very light today and I really did not have to use the
reins at all, just shift my weight and wiggle them slightly.  We had
to use a crop to signal him with the ground work we did because he had
some serious aggressive and lack of respect problems when we got him
and was dangerous.  I guess he needs to know that we have the crop to
know that we mean business even though we never have to use it.  I'm
also wondering if he had a bad experience at some point because he's a
solid bay, but has a few white hairs on his nose where a halter or
noseband would go and it seems more like a scar than a marking.  I do
know that the people we got him from tried to break him and got
violently ejected every time they tried to ride him.  He's never done
anything like that with us-- just the flip out over the AB sidepull
and the occasional green horse spook or goofy moment.  I guess I'll
just stick to the bitless with the crop for the moment because I
really couldn't have asked for a more perfectly behaved horse today.
The only other problem we still have with him is that every time
someone besides my boyfriend or I get on him, he flips out and dumps
them-- I'm not talking beginners either, this includes professionals.
I would like to get him so that other people could ride him as my
boyfriend only has time on the weekend, but can't take the risk of him
hurting someone.  Any suggestions?
--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in