Re: [RC] trailer shavings--inhaling - Mary Ann Spencer

Imagine what the horse has if those shavings are in his stall all the time???  I am a barebones traveler.  The horses manage to throw/drop the hay all over so it ends up as floor bedding.  Shavings can contain 'other things' so it sounds like the ones you have have some irritants.  A bag of shavings is similar in cost to old hay so why take the risk?   BTW, I have trailered horses now from coast to coast over the past years.  Just IMHO.  mas
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:26 PM
Subject: [RC] trailer shavings--inhaling

Just spent some time practicing trailer loading--also spent sometime in the trailer with fresh shavings.  Ended up feeling like I was inhaling fine dust particles after a short time with resulting cough--has anyone else noticed this?  What it must do to the horses respiratory tract after a haul.  What are the alternatives?  Do those who trailer alot wet down the shavings?  Any thoughts/ideas?