Re: [RC] [RC] (off) Pedigree Search - Nat Nelson

Actually the P numbers were established in 1941 in the
begining of the AQHA. I have the a full set of the
AQHA Stud books. According to the Abberviations and
Explinations of Terms on page 79 in volume one, the
"P" means permanent registration.  Of course the P was
dropped from the registration numbers as the AQHA
became more established.

Registrations 1 thru 20 in the AQHA stud book were
honorary selections by the founding members of the
AQHA (Bob Denhardt, Jim Minnick, Lee Underwood, Bob
Kleberg, Jack Casement, George Clegg, Helen Michaelis
and Jack Hutchins) in 1941. The first 20 horses were
all stallions and were selected to be the founding
sires of the breed.

Registration number 1 was selected by was the Grand
Champion Stallion at the 1941 Fort Worth Livestock
Show. The rest was selected by the above mentioned
members. Of course these selected numbers were
considered permanent registrations and were preceded
with the P.

Here are the names of the first 20 horses registered
with the AQHA:

P-1  Wimpy (foaled 1935)
P-2  Rialto (foaled 1923)
P-3  Joe Reed (foaled 1921)
P-4  Joe Bailey (foaled 1919)
P-5  Cheif (foaled 1917)
P-6  Oklahoma Star (foaled 1915)
P-7  Columbus (foaled 1922)
P-8  Colonel (foaled 1925)
P-9  Old Red Buck (foaled 1924)
P-10 Old Jim (foaled 1922)
P-11 Sheik (foaled 1918)
P-12 Cowboy (foaled 1922)
P-13 Waggoners Rainy Day (foaled 1925)
P-14 Old Red Bird (foaled 1924)
P-15 Brown Possum (foaled 1921)
P-16 Whiskaway (foaled 1924)
P-17 Little Richard (foaled 1922)
P-18 Yellow Boy (foaled 1927)
P-19 Tomate Laureles (foaled 1927)
P-20  Pancho (foaled 1934)

I can look up just about any quarter horse if you need
it and I also have online access the the registration
database - if you need me to look up anything :)

Hope I didn't bore ya'll ;) I breed quarter horses and
paint halter horses, but ride an arab for endurance.
In fact that lille arab mare is my only arab horse
hence her name MOAH.

Nat Nelson
Buckeye, AZ

Re: [RC] (off) Pedigree Search - Kari Hanes

Nancy,
These horses were probably from the 1960's or 50's. Do
you know if I can research them through AQHA? I'm just
curious...it's too cold & snowy to ride.
Kari

Nancy Sturm wrote:

The early quarter horse numbers had a P in front of
them.  If I remember
right, the first horse in the AQHA registry was Wimpy
P-1.  I just checked
the registration number of my grandson's paint - no P
on the number of a 14
year old paint  horse.

Nancy Sturm

Natalie "Nat" Nelson