From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Truman Prevatt
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 6:20 AM
To: April
Cc: Ridecamp
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Forerunner 301 Review

There are two pieces to the equation. First is the antenna gain. The
second is the sensitivity of the electronics used in the receivers. The
GPS signal is very weak - less than 10^-16 watts per Hz. It is well
below the ambient microwave radiation background noise on the earth. It
uses encoding to allow the receivers to see it. The current batch of 12
channel commerical GPS receivers are not very sensitive. Even with a
optimal 1/4 wave antenna you don't get the gain you should because of
the receivers.

The good news is there is a trend for the use of GPS in indoor
applications. Try using your GPS inside - it won't work. In order to get
one that work inside you need about 100 times more signal strength
delivered to the decoders (see
http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=149220 ).
I expect we will see the development of affordable high gain antennas
and more senitive receiver technology in the near future, and with
Gallieo (Eurpoean navagational satellite system) coming on line and
receivers designed to use both systems. These advances will eventually
filter down into the inexpensive commerical outdoor units and solve many
of the problems the current crop has.

But currently with my GPS I don't even think about messing with it in
the forest when the foliage is out - it can process the signal.

Truman

April wrote:

This is true of any GPS unit and it not a problem specific to the
Forerunner.  I haves not had a moment's trouble with satellite
reception when not in the woods (i.e., riding along the roadside), so
I have not experienced "marginal" results in that instance.

When I am going to be in an area that I know (or think) will have
problems with satellite reception, I also use an external antenna that
works in most of the conditions I have had it in. There is a runner in
NC that uses an external antenna with great success in areas that he
couldn't pick up a signal without the external antenna.

http://www.pc-mobile.net/gpsant.htm

BTW, even if there is no satellite reception, the 301 will still
record heart rate data.

April
Nashville, TN

--

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how
smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong" Richard