Re: [RC] [RC] Forerunner 301 Review - Truman Prevatt

There are two pieces to the equation. First is the antenna gain. The second is the sensitivity of the electronics used in the receivers. The GPS signal is very weak - less than 10^-16 watts per Hz. It is well below the ambient microwave radiation background noise on the earth. It uses encoding to allow the receivers to see it. The current batch of 12 channel commerical GPS receivers are not very sensitive. Even with a optimal 1/4 wave antenna you don't get the gain you should because of the receivers.

The good news is there is a trend for the use of GPS in indoor applications. Try using your GPS inside - it won't work. In order to get one that work inside you need about 100 times more signal strength delivered to the decoders (see http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=149220 ). I expect we will see the development of affordable high gain antennas and more senitive receiver technology in the near future, and with Gallieo (Eurpoean navagational satellite system) coming on line and receivers designed to use both systems. These advances will eventually filter down into the inexpensive commerical outdoor units and solve many of the problems the current crop has.

But currently with my GPS I don't even think about messing with it in the forest when the foliage is out - it can process the signal.

Truman

April wrote:

This is true of any GPS unit and it not a problem specific to the
Forerunner.  I haves not had a moment's trouble with satellite
reception when not in the woods (i.e., riding along the roadside), so
I have not experienced "marginal" results in that instance.

When I am going to be in an area that I know (or think) will have
problems with satellite reception, I also use an external antenna that
works in most of the conditions I have had it in. There is a runner in
NC that uses an external antenna with great success in areas that he
couldn't pick up a signal without the external antenna.

http://www.pc-mobile.net/gpsant.htm

BTW, even if there is no satellite reception, the 301 will still
record heart rate data.

April
Nashville, TN

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman