RE: [RC] Horse trainer payment - Jackie Causgrove

Hi,
Barn owner/trainer point of view

Different states have laws that impact the vaibility of being able to recover financially.  When I lived in Michigan, the law stated that you could not sell the horse until 9 months after the owner has failed to pay the bill.  If one is in business, you can not be getting into situations like that and expect to survive very long.
I even had a starved pony show up at my barn when I was out at the store.  Had no idea who the owner was and why I was the "lucky" person to have had this aged and neglected animal on my doorstep.  However, legally, I was in a bit of bind until I could find the owner (again, laws are according to the state).

Thus, just like board (a fee for a service rendered), was upfront.  Also, a written contract that is precise and clear.

And I agree, owner involvement is the best policy, for all concerned.
I had horses come in that the owners were a bit afraid of because of allowing some bad habits to continue.  I could reschool them but unless their owners learned how to effective deal with said behavior, it was just a revolving door with the horse.  I found that completely frustrating; especially for the poor horse!
Jackie
DESERTRYDR1@xxxxxxx wrote:
Another issue that no one has brought up about paying in advance, is the
subject of horse abandonment by people who have gotten in over their head
financially, realized life was easier without that particular horse, or for whatever
reason, didn't have the money or the inclination to pay when the time came.

Sure, a trainer can put a lien against the horse, keep it and then sell it to
recover the costs, but the longer they have to keep someone else's horse, the
less chance they will be able to recoup their expenses.

The only time I sent a horse for training, I paid in advance gladly. jeri