Re: [RC] Ted Klopenstein - Ericka Nelson

I am so glad that quick thinking helped this guy get his breath.  I do feel, however, that one should leave a hurt rider's helmet on.
ericka
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:16 AM
Subject: [RC] Ted Klopenstein

Ted gave us all a big scare at the FITS ride yesterday. Please pray for a full recovery for him. He was riding his horse , (I believe for the 3rd day this week, although not all three in a row), when he stepped in a hole and did a somersault over Ted. Ted was laying face down unable to move his hands or legs, but did have feeling in them. He was coherent though. Mary Coleman who was riding with him, (riding the 6th day in a row on her Morgan Hawk,(and was the only rider who completed all 6 days on one horse) saw the horse flip and got off to assist him. She carefully removed he helmet and cleared all the sand out of his nose and mouth, he said he thought she may have saved his life as he could not breathe from being down in the sand. She did not move him, she was close to a road and flagged someone down who called 911. The ride management got help to him really fast too. They helicopted him to the Shandes Hospital in Gainesville, FL, where he responded very quickly to treatment. Helen Kohler, trail coordinator for the ride, drove Mike Caudill to the hospital since he is a good friend, and gave us all the report. He has movement in his legs, and one arm so far and was going in for an MRI late last night as Mike left the hospital. We will be going to the hospital again today to check on him, hope test went well. Ted is a remarkable man, he is 78 years old, looks like 68 though, is a farrier and still shoes for 140 clients. He is really tough. He lives in northern Indiana and drove down to Florida for this ride alone. He rides a wired horse who had fought him all but the last day. I will write more if i find anyting out,
Connie Caudill