[RC] Fun in the Sun from Deb Ambrose - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Deb Ambrose mkkgs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello to all!
 First, so sorry to hear of Ted Klopfenstein's injury on the
last day--we camped next to him and he was a generous, humorous
and kind neighbor.
  Lippy, my Arab/Appy and I headed down from North Carolina
last Friday, after getting the characteristic late start.  500
miles of highway and byway later, we pulled in at 1am on
Saturday and set up camp as quietly as possible.  I had to stop
feeling sorry for myself and our 10 hour drive when I woke up
to see Ted from Northern Indiana on 1 side and Irving
McNaughton from Maine on the other.  My plan was to ride 2 days,
take a day off, and then see what.
  Sunday was rainy and cool, then a terrific windstorm came
through while most were at a driving demonstration and welcome
dinner at the Black Prong Equestrian Center a few miles away.
That will teach me to leave camp!  Word came that eight horses
had gotten loose and were recaptured, and trailer awnings had
performed backflips.  Most gulped their dinners and returned.
Camp was in an enormous, safely fenced cow pasture.  Quiet
returned by dark.
  We were off on our first 50 at 6:30, and Lippy was, to put it
politely, a maniac.  We started at the back as usual, but
nothing doing.  Pulling, head flinging, snorting, rushing. We
rode with Sue Jackson and her Sedgie into the first hold, and,
finally he settled in. Whew!
  There were some muddy stretches, but good footing underneath,
as well as nice springy sections.  The second loop has its share
of sand, and the trail wound through endless tall pines and saw
palmettos. The day was breezy and bright, and we looped out of
the hold and back to camp on a parallel trail.
  Now, does this happen to you?  I am always so happy to finish
that I didn't want start the next day.  That afterglow was too
nice to mix with the excitement and anxiety of a consecutive
day.  So I slept in Tuesday, which was a repeat of Monday's
trails.
  Wednesday took us north, on a lovely trail through some open
Florida prairies, woodlands, around a dry marsh and a pretty
lake.  Happily, my nice sane horse made a reappearance.  Part
of the way was along a pretty green levy, with marsh and trees
on both sides.  "Pigs!! Pigs ahead!!" said Lippy, as I watched
a black backside scoot into the bushes, with much snorting and
splashing from his buddies.  Luckily, he just planted his feet
until the commotion died down.  Another loop out of Black
Prong, and last hold on this 55.  We left with MaryAnne
Maynard, and enjoyed her company on a hard gravelly road on
the way in.  As usual, I was confused about how long this loop
would take, and thought we had another hour to go when the
camp came into sight.  Yeah!
  Again with the afterglow!  I started to get a little
homesick (and sick of camping in the truck--it was in the 30s
a couple of nights!) so after a call to my husband while the
rain came down Thursday morning, I decided to call it good and
head for home.  The weather cleared and warmed as we headed
north, and we made it by 7pm.
  Trail markings were super.  We're pretty used to sand, so
that was not bad.  The standing water and mud were new, but if
you look at my ride times, you'll see I have no problem
walking through such things :-).  Ride management ferried out
our crew bags each day, if we didn't have help, and each day
you rode, your number was entered in a drawing for a custom
built Kanavy saddle.  Your horse kept the same number all
so no build-up of grease paint.
  One of our highlights was meeting and briefly riding with
Mary Coleman and her Morgan Hawk.  She was full of good cheer
and Lippy loved Hawk.  She charged away at that big trot in
the cool morning air and firm footing.  They were quite a
pair.
  Glad I went.  This was our first multiday success, as the
rider was the weak link last year in the Liberty Run heat.
Between Ibuprofen and watered-down Gatorade, I hope we have
that nut cracked.
All the best,

Deb Ambrose and Lippy, 525 miles
Aberdeen, NC