[RC] Important Things in an LQ Trailer - DreamWeaver

my list would be alot different.....

I don't have a mid tack, but with the big rear tack and the mangers, I have more room than I need. Of course, I was used to a 16 trailer that had a 5' camping area and lived in it for about four months total in 2001 (it had no real plumbing either).

The other thing that I consider important, more important than the space it takes to add a mid tack or extra stalls, is that it is important to try and keep the trailer shorter. That way I can still go to some rides in my region where parking is tight (between trees and such). Not all camps can accommodate very large rigs. I was able to order my trailer with 36" wide stalls, which is plenty big enough for all of my horses, and by taking out 4 to 6" from each stall I was able to have a larger LQ, while keeping my trailer at 22' in length. I do have three stalls, and the 3rd is usually where I store the horses feed in containers, but can easily put those into the bathroom if I want to haul a 3rd horse. Four containers with scew on lids will keep about 400+ pounds of food. I can then stack two or three bales of hay in there (if only hauling 2 horses).

I had solar installed, and have three batteries. This gets me thru the week long multidays without any trouble. A generator would be nice, but it is not necessary unless you actually spend a lot of time 'living' in the trailer. I spend most of my time outside, or on the horse, and if I am inside usually it's because it's raining and then I really only need lights or maybe the furnace to be on.

One of my favorite things if the Fantastic Fan. People have come into my trailer at really hot rides and said, wow, it's cooler in here than at XX persons trailer that has A/C. It works great, it hardly uses any power to run and it will turn itself off if it rains so you can set the thermostat to come on while you are out riding and when you get back the inside will be cooled off for you. It really works great.

I like having an awning, it's been fun to sit under it and watch the pouring rain. The problem is that at most of the rides I go to when a storm comes in it usually brings wind. So it's not very often that you can let the awning out without being ready to put it up immediately should the wind come up. I have seen several awnings torn off of trailers, and I would never consider putting one on the side that the horses go on, unless it was way over-engineered for safety.

Another favorite thing is the WERM floor in the horse section. This can be added to existing trailers. Wonderful item, saves time and work! I just pressure washed the back of mine out yesterday and the trailer looks brand new in there. The horses haul well on it. Most people don't pull their mats out and clean after every trip (like hello, come on??!!), we figured that out when looking for trailer and lifting the mats up -- nearly 100% of the ones we looked at had at least some corrosion going on, some were very bad and were on trailers only a year or two old.

I've got water tanks installed everywhere on my trailer, mostly they were built into the living quarters, but we also added them to the hayrack (another essential item). This gives me 200 gallons of water which is more than enough for a week with two horses. I've also got it plumbed so it comes down to where I can attach a quick release short hose, turn a knob and fill up the horses water on the outside of the trailer where the bucket attaches. The plumbing also goes to the inside of the back part of the horse trailer, so I have running water there for doing things such as soaking beet pulp, or filling up water buckets to keep inside at night in case it's a ride where everything freezes at night.

Karen