[RC] camper or LQ? - Jonni

We have had cabover campers for about 15-20 years now. The current one is 11
years old, and we got it new. I put it on and off the truck by myself. Hubby
used to call from work and say "lets go camping this weekend", and I would
stick it on the truck, toss in a few things, and we would hit the road. But,
many folks prefer to have help to put it on and off, to help them line it up
etc.  We used to camp a lot without the horses. (trout fishing in the
Sierras), and never wanted to drag a horse trailer along to camp in, if not
taking horses. Ours is fully self contained, shower, toilet etc. etc.  One
needs to consider the truck size, when considering the camper size. We have
an 9.5' camper, with some overhang off back. (an 8' will not hang off back).
I personally prefer a dually truck with our size camper, to make it more
stable going down the road. Oh, and it is a 1 ton. But, our old camper was
smaller, and the truck was a 3/4ton, non-dually.  Before the campers, we
used a camper shell. No heat etc., but it did not need set up when arriving
at camp, and kept us dry. Used campers can be found for a good deal. Look
around. Some older ones, but that are very sound, can be found for under
$1000. Our first was only $75!!! Might be something to look for, and give it
a try, before deciding if you want to invest more in a better one, or if a
LQ trailer would be better. Also, if you look for a trailer, consider
getting one with one more stall than the number of horses you plan to haul.
Nice to have that space for hay etc.

Here are some photos of our camper ties, extended hitch and the whole rig.
As I said, ours is 9.5', so it needed an extended hitch. And, the duallys
needed jacks that would swing out of the way of the wheels.

http://community.webshots.com/album/14477263kZldcwvJVd

Jonni (who often has the only camper in TX, but never stands out in a ride
camp out west, where they use more campers)