Re: [RC] LQ or camper? - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: Dawn Simas

If there is an overhang (as with the ones with a bathroom) past the bed of my truck, they suggest getting a new hitch installed that extends out further to clear the camper.  Does anyone have input about these?  Seemed like a hassle, but the extra length in the camper would be nice...

****Hi Dawn, been there, done that.  Yes, a very, very good idea...most standard hitches such as Drawtite are not rated for extension althought RV places will do it...it 's not legal or safe.

You need a rated 10,000 lb Reese Titan Hitch (forget right now which class), with the extension and sway or equalizer bars, the the weight distribution hitch has the adjustable drop.  This is what I had for a one ton dually, 9.5 ft. camper and 5 horses aluminum stock trailer.  The entire set up was very stable and safe.  It was easy to hitch and unhitch, just a few more steps.  I just took all that OFF my truck and went to Gooseneck.  Happy to sell you the Husky weight distribution stuff pretty cheap.....

If you have any kind of overhang, you will need to extend your hitch or you won't be able to open the camper door without hitting the triailer jack the you also are guaranteed to stick the top of the camper jack into the nose of your horse trailer some day when backing too sharp.!

Walk around a ridecamp some day and look at all the rigs with campers. Note all the dimples in the noses of the trailers.!

That said, if you have a secondary use for the camper besides camping with horses, it's a great idea and has more space for a family than a comparable LQ (which will make you REALLY long).

I went to LQ as camper was a hassle and family not using it.  My LQ is a squeese for more than 2people (even taht is tight) but had everything I wanted as far as burners, counter, fridge, bathroom/shower, and FURNACE.  Many LQ trailers have a stupid AC/heat strip combo which you can only get heat with plug in or lugging around generator.....having propane heat was something I really wanted, and the most of the shorter LQ ( like Sooner or Exiss) did not have heat.  My trailer is I think about 18 ft. box also, like Marybens.....I think has 6 or 7 ft. LQ, and 3 horse slant...after my daugthers horse is gone I am converting first stall into mid tack as the back tack is a really cramped, silly idea.
Karen

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue