Re: [RC] HRM's and Increasing Intensity - Truman Prevatt

When a human runner goes into the weight room (and human runners do lift weights), it for a very particular reason. In fact they might go in the weight room three times a week for three different reasons. When a human runner does short intervals - it is for one reason. When a human runner does long intervals it's for a different reason. There are different types of training that are used for different reasons. A well rounded runner nees all of them. IMO so does a well rounded endurance horse.

Back when I was running - we didn't have the benefit of onboard telemetry systems to monitor our status in real time. That would have been very benefical and easier (and more accurate ) than the way it was done.

HRM's are very useful to support intensity training - that is used to build either speed, long term endurance or short term endurance. Can you develop a keen enough sense to judge the adaquacy of your horse's workout without one - most people can but I doubt if it would be be as effective as with one. It all depends what your goals are. If it's a 50 at 6 to 8 mph, that's one thing - if it is to win the WEC that's another kettle of fish where percision in both training and racing are required.

When I use one for training, I set the alarms to a zone I want to use. The low alarm is set for the recovery I want to use that day. The upper alarm is set for the threshold pulse I want to exceed. The watch I have keeps track ot time above - time between and time below. Given this and the total time of the workout, I can very eaisly provide the desired workout and monitor recovery without having to be watching the watch face.

However, with the Jbird I don't use it all that often since I've been riding him for almost 10 years and we have few secrets. However, with a new horse I would use it most of the time for several years to get a good understanding of how he runs. For an horse I was trying to ramp up from a 50 to a 100, I would also depend on training with the HRM to monitor how we are doing in preparing for a first 100.

Truman

Mike Sofen wrote:

Intensity training IS quite different than other training protocols. I am an advocate for being careful here, since, as you say, the horse can't tell us directly how they're doing.

Mike

--

“A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties.” Harry S. Truman