RE: [RC] HRM's and Increasing Intensity - Mike Sofen

No, it gives you the HR unambiguously.  It doesn't tell you if you've
pushed the soft tissues past the limit (but they haven't started to hurt
yet), and it doesn't tell you how the horse FEELS, unless one of his
feelings is pain.
Heidi
<<

Well, I'm riding a mare and she definitely TELLS me how she's feeling. :-)

I stand corrected, your point is valid.  Yet, once again, in the context of
intensity training sessions, the soft tissues shouldn't be an issue.  As I
stated earlier, this is happening after all of the base conditioning has
been completed.  So in this context, the HRM IS telling me pretty clearly
the state of their fatigue.

When I do distance running training, at the end of a run my legs will feel
very tired, although my HR is still in the normal zone, so your comments
about HR not necessarily being an indicator of fatigue are right on the
money.  But when I do interval or sprint training, it is my HR (or lack of
recovery) that dominates my workout, because at a certain point, I can't
recover to my baseline within a time window that I have set, and that means
the workout is over, regardless of how good my legs feel.

Intensity training IS quite different than other training protocols.  I am
an advocate for being careful here, since, as you say, the horse can't tell
us directly how they're doing.

Mike