Re: [RC] HRM's and Increasing Intensity - Sisu West Ranch

"....grew up the old-fashioned way where one learned to read one's horse as
well--and quite frankly, bought an HRM and found it not to be very useful,..."

When they first came available I purchased a HRM. I used it in training (especially interval training) for a couple of years. It was a very good tool to teach me to read the level of exertion I was giving the horse, and how he was recovering. Later I stopped because I had learned, in general, how to read what it was telling me. I suspect that my interval training would now be 20% or so more efficient if I used one. If I needed the small increase in cardiovascular fitness that this would produce I would still be using it. Unfortunately, since my ride weight is well into the heavy weight catagory, I can not run with the leaders unless I want to ruin my horses legs. Any extra cardio fitness would not help my times.

I early stopped using it on rides because of two problems. First, erratic readings caused by a loose girth. My OF fits well enough that a loose girth is not a problem and probably prevents girth sores. Secondly, the one place I need it is at a P/R stop. If it is on my saddle, it is not on my horse when I am cooling him.

Please note, there are many great competitors of all weights who find the info. provided is useful during both training. I just don't feel I am now getting enough information to counterbalence the hastle of making the HRM work during a ride.

I have also seen riders loose valuble time by slowing their horses recovery by not instantly removing tack at a stop. Their reason is "I have to be able to read my HRM so I can know when to go for the P/R". Horses cool much faster when the saddle is removed.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875