Re: [RC] Black Walnut -MORE THAN TOXIC - Karla Watson

We have 3 very large walnut trees on our property in our pasture. They are NOT black walnut. Just the normal kind. Their have been horses on this property since the 30s and no problems. My horses even reach up and keep the large walnut trees well trimmed. My vet said regular walnut trees are not toxic. I don't imagine the regular walnut tree shavings would be a problem but you still might want to check with your vet.
------------Karla Watson/Oregon
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Black Walnut -MORE THAN TOXIC

 >>> This woman that owned
a boarding stable got shavings with black walnut and even though people told her after the first horse foundered not to use it, she continued >>>to do so.... sad very sad.

I get rough cut sawdust from a neighbor with a sawmill. He also has horses. I asked him if he ever cut walnut and he said, "No." He usually cut oak, pine and cedar. He assured me that if he ever cut walnut he'd warn me. He had never heard of walnut being a problem and didn't seem to believe me.

Then one day I was shoveling up a load and noticed a dark wood and remembered the odor of it from when I made a walnut book stand in my high school woodshop class. I called him and asked and and he said, "Oh yeah, I did cut a walnut tree". I don't know the difference in black walnut or regular walnut but in order to be able to use his sawdust in the future I shoveled up 2 loads of walnut and took them to my dog & chicken pen. (big time farmer, 3 chickens)Just to get it away from the pile.

Moral is, don't trust them to warn you if they ever cut different types. They just don't worry about such things.

Angie