[RC] Belated Goethe (Part 2) - Jim Holland

We are now in full dark and the moon is up.  It’s crisp cold, the starts are bright, and the white sand beds shine in the dark. We have watched the sun rise in the cool of morning, watched the sun set in shades of red and gray, and are now enjoying a beautiful trail ride under the moon and stars.  All we needed was nice glass of red wine.  Clare and I decided that if we got to go back out for the last 15 miles, we would fill one water bottle with some of Susan Jackson’s Gamay Beaujolais! <grin>

Magic is not getting better.  Finally, I get off and let Clare go on, leading Magic who is reluctant to move forward.  When I came out on a road, just decided to quit and wait for a trailer ride.  Magic is not “tied up” at this point and didn’t want him to become that way.  After several hours, Nancy Gooch came by and sent me a trailer.  Becky Siler was sleeping in the trailer and got booted out so they could come get Magic.  Sorry about that, Becky!  With Magic clean, warm, and well fed, got to bed about 5:00AM.  The next day, he showed no signs of being stiff, and readily trotted out sound, so apparently I quit early enough to avoid anything serious.  One nice thing about having a crew….you get “missed” a little sooner.  It was dang cold out there.  Fortunately, I had added a flannel shirt and taken my gloves as an afterthought, but my feet were still cold the next morning!

Had a great time and learned a lot.  For all the other 100 milers who offered their support and suggestions, I am humbly and gratefully appreciative.  I learned a lot…..I didn’t prepare or manage this ride well.  Magic and I both missed Joan being there to “mother” us.  He also seemed a little distracted, although he ate and drank well.

New Years Resolution -  Buy a  waterproof, fleece lined rump rug!

Thanks to Helen and Pat for a great ride.  We’ll be back!  Congrats to Ed and George….good thing you finished…Becky would have NEVER let you hear the end of that!

Although I was disappointed by our failure to finish Goethe, when my PC got resurrected, I learned that in the final point standings, Magic is 5th Lightweight in the SE.  I’m proud of my little guy!

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic (740 miles in 2004, 14 starts, 14 completions, 2 Top Tens)