[RC] Belated Goethe (Part 1) - Jim Holland

A few days before Goethe, my new Dell Millennium died….just died.  No power up, no nothing...obviously a catastrophic failure of the motherboard.  Dell sent out a technician who replaced the motherboard and the power supply.  He was not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer since in the process of scattering parts and accessories around the floor he managed to destroy the new memory SIMMS and the USB devices did not work after he finished. (My backup is USB) Apparently he never heard of the effect of static electricity on electronic circuitry, and even declined to use my wrist static strap.

After a few more calls to Dell, they finally gave up and sent me a new replacement CPU which arrived the day before Christmas.  The new CPU was missing the diskette drive (no big deal) and some of the software I ordered with the system.  However, I am FINALLY back up and running, with my backup data and MOST of my software programs installed.  My ADS video device is still toast….apparently was affected by the USB problem.

By the way, if you use OUTLOOK, there is a small free program from Microsoft that you can download which will automatically back up your mail folders and address book at whatever frequency you choose.  It was a lifesaver.  It doesn’t keep your favorites list, however. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238782

Anyway, if I owe anyone a reply to an email, my apologies.  I had to buy a network card for my old Windows 98 machine to check email….and I had no address book.

I was looking forward to Goethe and Magic’s first attempt at a 100.  Magic and I left on Thursday, with Joan planning to come down Friday to crew for me. Thursday night the weather report was for 40 mph winds, subzero temperatures and 4 inches of snow for North Georgia.  We discussed it and decided it would be best for her to not to come since she had to be at work Monday.  It was COLD for Florida…  Alicia Mansuetti, Clare Summers, and their friend Andi Nelson showed up and parked next door.  Alicia and Clare were doing the 100, too. Andi crewed for Alicia and Clare and helped me with Magic when they were out on the trail, which was greatly appreciated.  A little later, Susan Jackson parked next door, also doing the 100. Susan had a great little dog, half lab, half chow…..kinda looked like a chow with floppy ears. Spend the whole time snoozing in his canvas chair. He was born on Thanksgiving, so Susan named him “Tanks”.  (“Thanks” without the “h”)  Buddy Gleason came over and we all huddled around Alicia’s heater/stove eating some great soup, drinking Susan’s wine and later jammed into my trailer in front of my gas heater.

We started in the dark at 6:00AM…couldn’t tell who was who, but luckily fell in behind Sarah Engsburg and Sandy Thomson, who graciously allowed me to hang behind their horses and stay out of trouble.  As soon as it was light enough to see, I got off, thanked Sarah for mentoring me and let her go on.  Pace was a little too fast for Magic.  We were doing great to the 55 mile point.  Immediate recoveries and good CRIs.  Alicia and Clare caught up with me and we rode together for the next 15 miles, reaching the 70 mile vet check at dusk.  Magic had a good recovery and a great CRI…something like 60/56…but on trot out, he seemed a little stiff in the rear. Talked it over with the Vet, who saw no problem with going back out….everything else was all A’s….but I know Magic, and this was NOT good.  He likes warm weather…cold and deep sand are not going to help him work it out.  I only had a lightweight Goretex Rump Rug….not enough. Meanwhile, back at the trailers, Alicia is not feeling well and after some medical help, is not going back out. After discussing it with Clare, I decide to go back out with her and give it a shot so she won’t have to ride alone.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic