Re: [RC] Scid, and other post.. - heidi

Well, you've heard of one now, in 2004.  I think this was my point. She
new SCIDS existed, she new there was a test but she decided to play the
odds, which were pretty good considering that 75% of the horses she bred
were non Arabians.

There certainly are still apt to be some here and there, due to the very
sort of people that breed this way.  But they don't come in waves the way
they used to, when no one knew what the problem was...

I personally have no problem breeding a carrier, provided every one is
informed and your not breeding a carrier to a carrier.  You're right,
you can't dictate ethics or morality.  So, it's up to us to not be
stupid like me and trust ANYONE, even a "friend".  I might  have bred to
him anyway, he s 98% Crabbet and VERY athletic and correct, but I would
have preferred to have been informed.

Yes, that's an important concept as well--you CAN'T legislate morality.
Being an educated "consumer" is the best defense.

I know that Heidi knows the people at Bend Equine.  They are the ones
that diagnosed the foal.  There were apparently some nasty words
exchanged between the sires owner and them.  It was apparently their
position that he should never be bred again.  I'm not sure on what
grounds, that a SCIDS horse should never be bred or that she was clearly
an unethical person in having allowed even one to hit the ground when it
could have been avoided.  If the second, I'm not sure I don't agree with
them.

Veterinarians in general are very weak with regard to knowledge of
population genetics.  Time and time again I've seen veterinarians diagnose
a problem as being "genetic" because it occurs on the farm of a breeder
and all the horses are affected--if ALL the horses on a place are
affected, it most likely ISN'T genetic, since genetic traits tend to
segregate, so that you get a 50-50 split, or a 75-25 split, or even a much
smaller number of affected offspring, depending on the inheritance pattern
and the gene frequency in a given program.  If ALL are affected, it is
usually an environmental or management issue.  In vet school, we are
taught lists of breeds and the genetic diseases one can encounter in those
breeds, but very little about actual inheritance.  Ambar (who has posted
here) says that this is beginning to change--and I'm glad to hear that.

That said--yes, if their thought was that the PERSON should not be
breeding due to their lack of ethics, they might well have a point!

Heidi